TOP 10 English Premier League TRANSFERS
The summer transfer window for the Premier League finally came to a close after 70 days on the 5th of October,2020 making it the longest transfer window in the history of Premier League football.
The transfer window is a time when the clubs look to strengthen their squads ahead of the long season. All the Premier League teams spend lumps of cash in the transfer window on players and this window has been no different as a total of 1.25 billion pounds were spent by the teams in the Premier League.
Out of the 20 teams in the league, Burnley was the least spending team in the division signing on one player in Dale Stephens from Brighton on a free transfer. On the opposite end, 5-time Premier League champions, Chelsea were the highest spending team spending a whopping total of 227 million pounds on 7 different signings.
Kai Havertz’s 72 million pound move from Bayer Leverkusen to Chelsea made him the biggest and the costliest signing of the summer.
After a long summer transfer window, here is a list of the top 10 transfers:-
1- Kai Havertz – 21-year-old German International Kai Havertz is one of the top young talents in Europe at the moment. Standing at 6 feet 2 inches tall, Kai Havertz is a young promising attacking midfielder who played for Bayer Leverkusen in Germany. Havertz is known for his versatility in attack and his elegant nature of play.
After making his debut in 2016 at the age of just 17, Havertz has since been a regular fixture in the attack of Leverkusen. Havertz has the ability to play anywhere upfront, as a winger, as a number 10, and even as a center forward. Havertz has often being compared to a modern-day Mesut Ozil.
Chelsea signed him for 72 million pounds with 20 million pounds as addons making him the most expensive German of all time. His talent has already been portrayed after he scored his first hattrick in Blue against Barnsley in the Carabao Cup. Kai Havertz’s singing has been a huge boost to Chelsea as they look to build a team for the long run and compete for Major Silverware under Frank Lampard, you too could make some cash with football check out betting odds boost.
2-Thiago Alcântara – Thiago Alcantara is a 29-year-old Spanish Central Midfielder who had previously played for the likes of FC Barcelona and Bayer Munich.
Thiago joined the La Masia youth setup and made his debut for Barcelona at the age of 18. However, after failing to secure regular starts despite his talents, he decided to join Bayern Munich in 2013. Thiago won heaps of trophies during his time in Bavaria. He won the Bundesliga in each of his 7 seasons at the club, the DFB POKAL cups on 4 different occasions, the FIFA Club World Cup in 2013, and also won the elusive UEFA Champions League title in 2019-20. Thiago signed for the Merseyside Reds following their dominant Premier League triumph under Jurgen Klopp for 30 million Euros.
Thiago is a versatile Central Midfielder with an eye for a pass. He is a wonderful playmaker and loves to link up with his teammates. Thiago is already a proven winner and fits in properly into Jurgen Klopp’s playing style. Thiago came on at half time against Chelsea in a 2-0 victory and broke the passing record in the Premier League for the most number of passes in a single half with 75 passes. Thiago has shown a glimpse of what is to come and with his vast experience, he will be a wonderful player for Liverpool.
3. James Rodriguez – Everton’s bright start to the 2020-21 season has been down to their new signings. Everton under manager Carlo Ancelotti has signed some wonderful talents in the transfer window with players like Allan, Abdoulaye Doucouré, and Ben Godfrey all signing for big amounts. However, the signing of James Rodriguez on a free transfer from Real Madrid has arguably made the biggest impact so far. The 2014 World Cup Golden Boot winner signed for Real Madrid under Carlo Ancelotti but due to injuries failed to make regular starts. He was loaned out to Bayern Munich where he had a great 2 years winning the Bundesliga on 2 occasions but that success was not
enough to convince Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane to start him as he preferred other options. James Rodriguez finally signed for Everton this summer after spending 6 years in the books of Real Madrid winning 2 La Liga titles, 2 UEFA Champions League titles, 2 FIFA Club World Cups, and 1 UEFA Super Cup. There is no doubt that Rodriguez is a proven match-winner and he took no time to prove his talent in the Premier League. James plays mostly in the number 10 role as an attacking midfielder and loves to scores goals.
Everton has enjoyed their best start to a Premier League campaign with 12 points in 4 matches keeping a 100 % record so far. James Rodriguez has played a huge role in their success so far scoring 3 goals in 4 matches and providing 2 assists in that time as well. The Colombian Midfield Maestro is certainly one to keep an eye out for in the season ahead.
4. Ben Chilwell – The Left Back position at Chelsea has been a huge problem for Chelseas after Ashley Cole’s departure in 2014 with players like Marcos Alonso, Emerson all failing to fill the boots of the club legend. However, in this window, Chelsea has splashed the cash and has brought in Ben Chilwell from Leicester City for 50 million pounds. The English left-back is known for his ability to attack and at the same time get back and defend with the pace that he possesses. Chilwell is a proven Premier League talent and has been England’s first choice Left Back for quite some time. The 23-year-old has already won the Premier League title with Leicester City under manager Claudio Ranieri in the
2015-16 season whilst also playing UEFA Champions League football in the 2016-17 season. The Left Back comes in with lots of expectations and a massive price tag for his age. However, with the talent, he possesses he is a player brought in for the long term to help Chelsea elevate their status and dominate not only domestically as well as in European competitions.
5. Donny Van de Beek- Manchester United have a history of signing top Dutch talents from the likes of Van der Sar, Van Nistelrooy to Van Persie. Manchester United signed Donny Van de Beek from Ajax for 42 million pounds in the summer transfer window in order to elevate their midfield even more. The Dutch international made his debut for Ajax at the age of 18 and was quick to make his mark on the young Ajax side. Donny Van de Beek was a crucial part of the Ajax side playing in the heart of the midfield. His good passing ability allows him to play as a number 10 aside from his usual central midfield spot. Van de Beek played a crucial role in Ajax’s UEFA Champions League run in 2018-19
where they made it to the Semi-Final only losing to Tottenham. His performances in that season earned him a 28th spot in the 2019 Ballon d’Or rankings. Van de Beek was linked with moves to Real Madrid and FC Barcelona as well but ultimately it was Manchester United who came out on top and signed the 12 times capped Netherlands International. There is no question regarding Van de Beek’s quality in midfield and with his talent, he can certainly be a constant fixture in the Manchester United midfield for years to come.
6. Diogo Jota – Liverpool made two top transfers in this transfer window. After announcing the signing of Thiago. Within the next 24 hours, they announced the transfer of another top talent in the form of Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers. Diogo Jota is a Premier League proven Portuguese winger who is known for his brilliant pace and his terrific finishing ability. Diogo Jota played an instrumental role in Wolves’ first 2 seasons in the Premier League and also played a huge role in Wolves’ extraordinary Europa League run last season. The four-time capped Portugues International signed for the Merseyside reds for 43 million pounds and made an instant impact scoring his first Premier League goal for the club coming on against Arsenal. Diogo Jota is a wonderful option to have in attack for Liverpool and under the guidance of manager Jurgen Klopp, Jota can reach new heights and unlock new potential.
7. Timo Werner – Chelsea had the best transfer window of all clubs in the Premier League. Timo Werner is one of the high profile names that signed for the Blues this summer. Werner has been lighting up the Bundesliga and also the European competitions with his incredible goal-scoring record. Werner who is just 24 years old is one of the most deadly strikers in Europe at the moment. He scored a total of 34 goals in 45 appearances and also providing 13 assists. His goal contribution was only short of Lionel Messi, in the 2019-20 season. Timo Werner was a player high in demand and looked certain to join Liverpool FC but ultimately it was the West London Blues who managed to snap him up for only 47 million pounds. Timo Werner is a flexible striker and can play as a winger and a number 10 as well apart from playing as a striker. In Chelsea, Werner will have quality players all around him and a quality striker like him will allow Chelsea to score lots of goals and win major Silverwares.
8. Thomas Partey – Mikel Arteta has completely transformed Arsenal and after a brilliant start to their Premier League season, the would look to build upon that and qualify for the UEFA Champions League after a 4-year absence from the competition. Arteta had already bought in Gabriel from Lille and Willian from Chelsea but the signing of Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid completely changes the dynamic of their midfield. Ghanaian International Partey was bought in for 50 million pounds following an impressive 2019-20 season. Partey is known for his presence in midfield and the strong physical character he possesses. Partey plays as a deep-lying midfielder who adds more defensive support and structure to the team. Arsenal never had a strong defensive midfielder on their side. The addition of Partey to the side will make Arsenal a more physical side. The addition of Partey is a huge boost to Arsenal and with a solid midfield, they would look forward to having a solid 2020-21 season ahead.
9. Ruben Dias- Manchester City finished the 2019-20 Premier League season in the second spot following a brilliant all-round year for title rivals Liverpool. One of the drawbacks of last season is a poor defense. Pep Guardiola decided to strengthen the defense by bringing in defensive reinforcement in the form of Nathan Ake. However, it was not enough as City fell toa 5-2 defeat at home against Leicester City. It was after this that Guardiola decided to spend big money on Portuguese center half Ruben Dias. City ended up completing the signing for 62 million pounds from Benfica. Dias was voted the Primeira Liga’s best young player in 2017/18 and in the following campaign, he truly established himself at the heart of the defense, playing 55 times in all competitions and helping Benfica to a 37th league title. Ruben Dias is a strong and tall center half and is perfect for a club like City. The Portuguese will partner a defense consisting of Aymeric Laporte and Nathan Ake as they look to help Manchester City build a solid defense for years to come.
10. Gareth Bale- Gareth Bale’s move to Tottenham was something that everyone thought was coming for a long time after the Welsh attacker fell down the pecking order at Real Madrid. Gareth Bale is an experienced attacker despite his age he still has the pace and deadly finish which is enough to shatter opposition defenses. Tottenham made a brilliant bit of business upon signing the welsh winger on loan. His experience will add to this already deadly Spurs attack and will help them fight for a top 4 place under Jose Mourinho.