Salah coronavirus update: “He is not showing any symptoms yet!”
Mo Salah is not going to feature in any of Egypt’s fixtures this international break.
But more annoyingly, he’s also going to miss our home tie v Leicester next weekend and the Atalanta game in the Champions League…
BBC Sport have confirmed that Salah’s second COVID-19 test returned a positive sample, meaning he’ll now self-isolate and return to Merseyside just before the Brighton game – which to Jurgen Klopp’s likely fury – is the 12:30 kick off on the Saturday after a Wednesday Champions League tie.
Salah has ten goals in total this season and eight in eight games in the Premier League, so he’s going to be a big miss for us as Brendan Rodgers’ Premier League leaders travel to Anfield.
In his place, Jurgen Klopp will likely use Diogo Jota, with Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino making up the rest of the front-three.
So far this season, Mane, Thiago, Kostas Tsimikas and Xherdan Shaqiri have tested positive for COVID-19.
“Salah is keeping a high spirit and is not showing any symptoms of the virus,” said the EFA in a statement.
The Ministry of Health in Egypt dispatched a preventive medicine and monitoring committee to the hometown of Liverpool star Mohamed Salah after he tested positive for coronavirus, days after attending his brother’s wedding in a scene deemed controversial.
In press statements, Abdel Naser Hemeda, the health ministry’s undersecretary at Gharbeya governorate, said the team will take swabs from all family members or residents of the village believed to have contacted Salah during the wedding.